"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you..." John 15:16

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Piecework of Ministry

The pastoral ministry is like a patchwork quilt.

Our grandmothers and great-grandmothers were quilt makers. They saved scraps left over from dress patterns and bits and pieces acquired elsewhere and turned them into items that provided comfort and beauty.

When you and I, as pastor's wives, reflect on our years in the pastorate, we can identify with the pattern of those long-ago quilts.

In the first squares, we see the hesitating stitches of the first pastorate, the brilliant color swatches of youthful zeal and high hopes.

In the later design, we contemplate the pastel-shaded blocks that represent new babies and the parenting years.

Then come the dotted and striped patterns of new ideas our husbands so exuberantly introduced to the congregation.

Further inspection shows us the dark tones of disappointment and trials, and maybe a few patches of double-knit fabric with its stubborn texture and bland personality -- we've all had seasons of life like this!

Scattered throughout are color bursts of bright hue that tell the story of good times -- pastor appreciation days, retreats, campmeetings, family vacations, souls recovered and discipled. The mix of bright and dark forms a pattern as complex as the realities of life.

Yes, someday, you and I will examine the design of our ministry patchwork with awe -- for then we will see the plan of the Master and observe unmistakably that the thread of His presence encompasses each carefully-chosen section of our lives.

4 comments:

sarahmfry said...

This reminds me of that song Marc & Melody sang years ago at GBS...."Trust His Heart."

I absolutely love the times when God brings us out of some jumble-threaded, "difficult stitch" time...and then He turns the tapestry over right away to give us a glimpse of the beautiful picture that it created!

But more often, I think, we have to wait awhile before we get to see the actual picture that is being weaved.

sarahmfry said...

Hey - I have an idea! I love that you send us an email letting us know when you update the PWC blog. Would you consider adding an email subscription option(delivered by feedburner or some other provider) so that we automatically receive your new posts by email? You can see an example at the top of my blog if you're interested in trying it.

Unknown said...

Valorie,
This is beautiful! How accurate a description of the pastor's wife ministry!

Someday God will reveal His perfect plan!
Eunice

Evie said...

This is very good Valorie. Thanks!