We just need to hear it again, a different way, in a new voice.
I was telling a friend just the other day how I think my kids get so used to Mom's voice that they subconsciously tune me out. I demand respect and obedience, but sometimes I don't think they ever hear me. Their ears have become so attuned to the "mom" frequency that it kind of flies over them. Let Dad say the same thing and. whoa!, they hear him. It's the power of a new timbre and different presentation.
Ditto for church. The principles we've heard all our lives get a little distant when we never hear them presented differently. That's part of the wonder of having a guest speaker. God's message can be heard with a different tone, different flair, with new energy, and great power.
There are many reasons are important, but giving our ears a little "wake-up call" is a pretty good one.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So we shouldn't take offense when a parishoner says, "I've never heard that before"? :)
Post a Comment