"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you..." John 15:16

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Game of Pastoring

Being in ministry is like a shelf of board games. If you're tired of the one you're playing, sit tight, the next one is about to start..........

Sometimes, it's a game of Scrabble where you're trying to find the right words.

Other times, you feel like you're playing Guesstures and just going through the motions.

There are days when the church resembles a Checker board with everyone jumping around.

And there come days when the game of Taboo would most accurately describe your mood.

Well, some weeks, it seems like you're playing a round of Clue, searching for the answers.

We all dread the times when it seems like checkmate on the Chess board.

And, above all things, we dislike the days when the parsonage feels eerily like a game of Battleship, with missiles spraying the water all around us.

Thank the Lord there are those refreshing times when the pastorate really does remind us of Candyland -- a place of sweet rewards and victories.

The greatest aspect of it all is that God holds all the gamepieces in His hand. And He knows all the strategies we need to stay in the game. In the end, He gives the crowns.

2 comments:

Jody J said...

I love games and I love the way you describe things!

Becky said...

As I ready your blog the game of "Pit" came to mind!! (smile)